What is Dry Brushing?
Dry brushing is the easiest way to detox, firm and exfoliate, and it only takes about 5 minutes to do. I know, even the name “dry brushing,” seems weird, and the act of brushing yourself all over might make you feel like a golden retriever, but trust me if you take the 5 extra minutes to do this, the results will be astonishing. Dry brushing is a really old Ayurvedic technique that involves using a natural bristle brush and firmly, but gently, brushing your skin. Simple, right? It is! Let me the why’s and hows’s of dry brushing to help you get started.
What Does Dry Brushing Do?
- Dry brushing not only loosens dead skin, but it improves your circulation by getting your blood flowing. This can help get you going in the morning similar to a quick jog, minus the sweat.
- Dry brushing reduces cellulite and helps you burn and eliminate fat. The brushing smooths fat deposits and can help your body release excess fat.
- Dry brushing removes toxins by stimulating your kidneys and lymphatic system, thus helping them do their job- releasing the garbage and bad stuff from the body. If you are sick with a cold or virus, this can help you feel better faster
- Dry brushing also helps you get rid of dead skin, and it opens your pores, so more toxins can be released.
I tried it and was amazed by the results. Not to mention, it feels invigorating!
- About 5 to 10 minutes to spare, preferably before the shower, so you can rinse off the dead skin
- A natural bristle brush- you can get one from your local drug store or a health food store, I got mine from Amazon, the name brand is Yerba Prima Tampico Skin Brush.
Here’s how to Dry Brush Your Skin:
- · Start at your feet brush in an upward motion with short quick stokes, continuing to brush up your legs, continue brushing up your legs
- · Then start brushing your hands, continuing to brush upward toward your arms
- · Brush upwards over your abdomen- Great for digestion and toxin removal
- · Brush your chest to your neck (gently girls) in an downward motion towards your heart
- · Finally brush your back (this is where a handled brush is useful) towards your the center of your body, so upper back brush down, and lower back brush upward.
- · Shower afterward to remove the dead skin cells and moisturize with natural oil like coconut or shea butter.